Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8 — Psalm 40

HEBREW
PSALM 40
Song of praise and prayer for help

For the choirmaster, psalm of David.

I waited and waited for Yahweh,
now at last He has stooped to me
and heard my cry for help.

He has pulled me out of the horrible pit,
out of the slough of the marsh,
has settled my feet on a rock
and steadied my steps.

He has put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God;
dread will sieze many at the sight,
and they will put their trust in Yahweh.

Happy the man who puts his trust in Yahweh,
and does not side with rebels
who stray after false gods.

How many wonders You have done for us,
Yahweh, my God!
How many plans You have made for us,
You have no equal!
I want to proclaim them, again and again,
but they are more than I can count.

You who wanted no sacrifice or oblation
opened my ear,
You asked no holocaust or sacrifice for sin;
then I said, ‘Here I am! I am coming!’

In the scroll of the book am I not commanded
to obey Your will?
My God, I have always loved Your Law
from the depths of my being.

I have always proclaimed the righteousness of Yahweh
in the Great Assembly;
nor do I mean to stop proclaiming,
as You know well.

I have never kept Your righteousness to myself,
but have spoken of Your faithfulness and saving help;
I have made no secret of Your love and faithfulness
in the Great Assembly.

For Your part, Yahweh, do not withhold
Your kindness from me!
May Your love and faithfulness
constantly preserve me.

More misfortunes beset me
than I can count,
my sins close in on me
until I can hardly see,
they outnumber the hairs on my head;
my courage is running out.

Oh come and rescue me, Yahweh,
Yahweh come quickly and help me!
Shame and dishonor on all
who are out to kill, to destroy me!

Down with them! Disgrace on those
who enjoy my misfortune!
May they be aghast with shame,
those who say to me, ‘Aha! Aha!’

But joy and gladness for all who seek You!
To all who love Your saving power
give constant cause to say,
‘God is great!’

To me, poor wretch, come quickly, Lord!
My Helper, my Savior, my God,
come and do not delay!

Next… Psalm 41

No comments:

Post a Comment