Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14 — Psalm 71

HEBREW
PSALM 71
An old man's prayer

In You, Yahweh, I take shelter;
never let me be disgraced.
In Your righteousness rescue me, deliver me,
turn Your ear to me and save me!

Be a sheltering rock for me,
a walled fortress to save me!
For You are my rock, my fortress.
My God, rescue me from the hands of the wicked,
from the clutches of rogue and tyrant!

For You alone are my hope, Lord,
Yahweh, I have trusted You since my youth,
I have relied on You since I was born,
You have been my portion from my mother's womb,
and the constant theme of my praise.

To many I have seemed an enigma,
but You are my firm refuge.
My mouth is full of Your praises,
filled with Your splendor all day long.

Do not reject me now I am old,
nor desert me now my strength is failing,
for my enemies are uttering threats,
spies hatching their conspiracy:

‘Hound him down now that God has deserted him,
seize him, there is no one to rescue him!’
God, do not stand aside,
my God, come quickly and help me!

Shame and ruin on those who attack me;
may insult and disgrace cover those
whose aim is to hurt me!

I promise that, ever hopeful,
I will praise you more and more,
my lips shall proclaim Your righteousness
and power to save, all day long.

I will come in the power of Yahweh
to commemorate Your righteousness,
Yours alone.

God, You taught me when I was young,
now I am still proclaiming Your marvels.

Now that I am old and gray,
God, do not desert me;
let me live to tell the rising generation
about Your strength and power,
about Your heavenly righteousness, God.

You have done great things;
who, God, is comparable to You?
You have sent me misery and hardship,
but You will give me life again,
You will pull me up again
from the depths of the earth,
prolong my old age,
and once again comfort me.

I promise I will thank You on the lyre,
my ever-faithful God,
I will play the harp in Your honor,
Holy One of Israel.

My lips shall sing for joy as I play to You,
and this soul of mine which You have redeemed.
And all day long, my tongue
shall be talking of Your righteousness.
Shame and disgrace on those
whose aim is to hurt me!

Next… Psalm 72

No comments:

Post a Comment