Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 7 — Psalm 35

HEBREW
PSALM 35
Prayer of a virtuous man under oppression

Of David.

Accuse my accuser, Yahweh,
attack my attackers;
grip shield and buckler,
up, and help me;
brandish lance and pike
in the faces of my pursuers.
Tell my soul, ‘I am your salvation.’

Shame and dishonor on those
who are out to kill me!
Back with them! Cover with confusion
those who plot my downfall!
May they be like chaff before the wind,
with the angel of Yahweh to chase them!
May their way be dark and slippery,
with the angel of Yahweh to hound them!

Unprovoked they spread their net for me,
they dug a pit for me;
but ruin creeps on them unawares,
the net they have spread will catch them instead,
and into their own pit they will fall.

Then my soul will rejoice in Yahweh,
exult that He has saved me.
All my bones will exclaim, ‘Yahweh,
who can compare with You
in rescuing the poor man from the stronger,
the needy from the man who exploits him?’

Lying witnesses take the stand,
questioning me on things I know nothing about;
they repay my kindness with evil,
there is desolation in my soul.

Yet, when they were sick, I put sackcloth on,
I humbled my soul with fasting,
murmuring prayers to my own breast
as though for a friend or brother;
and, like a person mourning his mother,
went about dejected and sorrowing.

Now I have fallen, they crowd around delighted,
flocking to jeer at me;
strangers I never even knew
with loud cries tear me to pieces,
riddling me with gibe after gibe,
grinding their teeth at me.

How much longer, Lord, will You look on?
Rescue my soul from their onslaughts,
my dear life from these lions.
I will give thanks in the Great Assembly,
praise You where the people throng.

Do not let my lying enemies
gloat over me,
do not let those who hate me for no reason
exchange sly glances.

Peace is not what they discuss
with the peace-loving people of the land;
they think out false accusations,
their mouths wide to accuse me,
‘Aha! Aha!’ they say,
‘With our own eyes we saw it!’

Now break Your silence, Yahweh,
You were looking too,
Lord, do not stand aside,
up, wake up, come to my defense,
Lord, my God, side with me!
Yahweh my God, You are righteous,
so give verdict for me,
and do not let them gloat over me.

Do not let them think, ‘Just as we hoped!’
Do not let them say, ‘Now we have got him down!’
Shame and dishonor on all
who gloat over my misfortune;
shame and discredit cover all
who profit at my expense!

But shouts of joy and gladness for all
who take pleasure in my virtue;
give them constant cause to say,
‘Great is Yahweh,
who likes to see His servant at peace!’

Then my tongue will shout Your goodness,
and sing Your praises all day long.

Next… Psalm 36

No comments:

Post a Comment