Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 26 — Psalm 119:105-176

HEBREW
PSALM 119
In praise of the divine Law

נ, Now Your Word is a lamp to my feet,
a light on my path.
I have sworn to observe, I shall maintain,
Your righteous rulings.
Yahweh, though my suffering is acute,
revive me as Your Word has guaranteed.
Yahweh, accept the homage that I offer,
teach me Your rulings.
I would lay down my life at any moment,
I have never yet forgotten Your Law.
The wicked have tried to trap me,
but I have never yet veered from Your precepts.
Your decrees are my eternal heritage,
they are the joy of my heart.
I devote myself to obeying Your statutes—
compensation enough for ever!

ס, Odious, those whose allegiance is divided;
I love Your Law!
You, my refuge and shield,
I put my hope in Your Word.
Away from me, you wicked people!
I will respect the commandments of my God.
Support me as You have promised, and I shall live,
do not disappoint me of my hope.
Uphold me, and I shall be safe
with Your statutes constantly before my eyes.
You spurn all who stray from Your statutes,
their notions being delusion.
You scour the wicked off the earth like rust;
that is why I love Your decrees.
My whole being trembles before You,
Your rulings fill me with fear.

ע, Persevering in justice and virtue,
must I now be abandoned to my oppressors?
Guarantor of Your servant's well-being,
forbid the arrogant to oppress me!
My eyes are worn out looking for Your saving help,
for Your promise of righteousness to come.
Treat Your servant lovingly,
teach me Your statutes.
I am Your servant; if You will explain,
I shall embrace Your decrees.
Yahweh, now is the time to act,
Your Law is being broken.
Yes, I love Your commandments
more than gold, than purest gold.
Yes, I rule myself by all Your precepts;
I hate all deceptive paths.

פ, Your decrees are so wonderful
my soul cannot but respect them.
As Your Word unfolds, it gives light,
and the simple understand.
I open my mouth, panting
eagerly for Your commandments.
Turn to me, please, pity me,
as You should those who love Your name.
Direct my steps as You have promised,
let evil win no power over me.
Rescue me from human oppression;
I will observe Your precepts.
Treat Your servant kindly,
teach me Your statutes.
My eyes stream with tears,
because others disregard Your Law.

צ, Righteous, indeed, Yahweh!
And all Your rulings correct!
The decrees You impose, how righteous,
how absolutely faithful!
Zeal for Your house devours me,
since my oppressors forget Your Word.
But Your promise is well tested,
and Your servant holds it dear.
Puny and despised as I am,
I do not forget Your precepts.
Your righteousness is eternal righteousness,
Your Law holds true for ever.
Though distress and anguish grip me,
Your commandments are my delight.
Eternally righteous, Your decrees—
explain them to me, and I shall live.

ק, Sincere, my call—Yahweh, answer me!
I will respect Your statutes.
I invoke You, save me,
I will observe Your decrees.
I am up before dawn to call for help,
I put my hope in Your Word.
I lie awake throughout the night,
to mediate on Your promise.
In Your love, Yahweh, listen to my voice,
let Your rulings give me life.
My cruel persecutors are closing in,
how remote they are from Your Law!
But, Yahweh, You are closer still
and all Your commandments are true.
Long have I known that Your decrees
were founded to last forever.

ר, Take not of my suffering and rescue me,
for I do not forget Your Law.
Take up my cause, defend me,
give me life as You have promised.
You will never save the wicked,
if they do not study Your statutes,
but many are Your mercies to me, Yahweh,
by Your rulings give me life.
Many hound me and oppress me,
but I do not swerve from Your decrees.
The sight of these renegades disgusts me,
they do not observe Your promise;
but, Yahweh, see how I love Your precepts,
and lovingly give me life.
Faithfulness is the essence of Your Word,
Your righteous rulings hold good for ever.

ש, Unjustifiably though princes hound me,
Your Word is what fills me with dread.
I rejoice in Your promise,
like someone on finding a vast treasure.
I hate, I detest, delusion;
Your Law is what I love.
Seven times daily I praise You
for Your righteous rulings.
Universal peace for those who love Your Law,
no stumbling blocks for them!
Waiting for You, Yahweh, my Savior,
I fulfill Your commandments.
My soul observes Your decrees;
these I wholly love.
I observe Your precepts, your decrees;
You know how I keep to Your paths.

ת, Yahweh, may my cry approach Your presence;
let Your Word endow me with perception!
May my entreaty reach Your presence;
rescue me as You have promised.
May my lips proclaim Your praise,
since You teach me Your statutes.
May my tongue recite Your promise,
since all Your commandments are righteous.
May Your hand be there to help me,
since I have chosen Your precepts.
I long for You, Yahweh, my Savior,
Your Law is my delight.
Long may my soul live to praise You,
long be Your rulings my help!
I am wandering like a lost sheep:
come and look for Your servant.

No, I have never forgotten Your commandments.

Next… Day 27 — Psalm 120

No comments:

Post a Comment