Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 29 — Psalm 140

HEBREW
PSALM 140
Against the wicked

For the choirmaster, psalm of David.

Yahweh, rescue me from evil people,
defend me from men of violence,
from people plotting evil,
forever intent on stirring up strife,
who make their tongues as sharp as serpents'
with viper's venom on their lips, selah.

Yahweh, guard me from attacks by the wicked,
defend me from those who love force,
from people plotting to make me stumble,
forever laying snares where I walk,
insolent wretches, concealing pitfall and noose
to trap me as I pass, selah.

I have told Yahweh, ‘You are my God.’
Yahweh, listen to my cry for help.
Yahweh, my Lord, my saving strength,
shielding my head when I have to fight,
Yahweh, do not grant their wicked wishes,
do not let their plots succeed.

May those besieging me not win, selah,
may their own cruel words overtake them,
may red-hot embers rain down on them,
may they be flung into the abyss for good,
may evil hound the man of violence to death
and the slanderer not hold his own on earth.

I know Yahweh will avenge the wretched,
and see justice done for the poor.
The virtuous shall have good cause to thank Your name,
and the upright to find a home with You.

Next… Psalm 141

No comments:

Post a Comment