Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11 — Psalm 60

HEBREW
PSALM 60
National prayer after defeat

For the choirmaster, tune ‘The decree is a lily,’ miktam of David, for instruction, when he was at war with Aram Naharaim and Aram Zobah, and Jo’ab marched back to destroy twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.

God, You have rejected us, broken us;
You have been angry, come back to us!

You have made the earth tremble, torn it apart;
now mend the rifts, it is tottering still!
You have allowed Your people to suffer,
to drink a wine that makes us reel.

Hoist the standard to rally those who fear You,
to put them out of range of bow and arrow, selah.
To bring rescue to those You love,
save with Your right hand and answer us!

God promised us once from His sanctuary,
‘I the Victor will parcel out Shechem,
and share out the Valley of Succoth.

‘Gilead is Mine, Manasseh Mine,
Ephraim is my helmet,
Judah, My marshal's baton.

‘Mo’ab a bowl for Me to wash in!
I throw My sandal over Edom.
Now shout ‘Victory!’ Philistia.’

Who is there now to take me into the fortified city,
to lead me into Edom?
God, can You really have rejected us?
You no longer march with our armies.

Help us in this hour of crisis,
the help that man can give is worthless.
With God among us we shall fight like heroes,
He will trample on our enemies.

Next… Psalm 61

No comments:

Post a Comment