Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11 — Psalm 59

HEBREW
PSALM 59
Against the wicked

For the choirmaster, tune ‘Do not destroy,’ of David, miktam, when Saul sent spies to his house to have him killed.

Rescue me from my enemies, my God,
protect me from those attacking me,
rescue me from these evil men,
save me from these murderers!

Look at them lurking to ambush me,
they are strong and united against me;
for no fault, no sin, no offense of mine,
Yahweh, how they hurry into position!

Wake up, stand by my side and look,
Yahweh, God of Sabaoth, God of Israel,
up, now, and punish these pagans,
show no mercy to these villains and traitors, selah.

Back they come at nightfall,
snarling like curs,
prowling through the town.

See how they slaver at the mouth,
with swords between their teeth,
‘There is no one listening.’

Yahweh, You laugh at them,
You make fun of these pagans.
My Strength, I look to You.

My citadel is God Himself,
the God who loves me is coming,
God will show me my enemies defeated.

Slaughter them, God, before my people forget!
Harry them with Your power
and strike them down, Lord our shield!

Sin is in their mouths, sin on their lips,
so let them be caught in their pride!
For the curses and lies they utter,

destroy them in anger, destroy, until they are finished,
until God is acknowledged as ruler in Jacob
to the remotest parts of the earth, selah.

Back they come at nightfall,
snarling like curs,
prowling through the town,
scavenging for food,
growling till they are full.

I, for my part, celebrate Your strength,
I sing of Your love morning by morning;
You have always been my citadel,
a shelter when I am in trouble.

My Strength, I play for You,
my citadel is God Himself,
the God who loves me.

Next… Psalm 60

No comments:

Post a Comment